COVID-19 and restrictions have changed some industries. Roofing falls within the construction category and therefore is considered an essential service. Roofs are crucial to keeping residential and commercial buildings watertight including single-family homes.
To better serve their customers, roofing contractors have transitioned to a more digital approach to manage sales of roof installations and repair. Meeting face to face may become a practice of the past.
You Shouldn’t Delay Roof Repair or Replacement
Your roof plays a crucial role in helping to protect your home from the elements. It is important to get that work done as soon as possible to help prevent other issues or severe damage to your home, such as:
- Water damage, either seen or unseen
- Structural damage
Safety measures may vary depending on the roofing contractor you choose, but they could include all or some of the following recommendations:
- Compliance with Safety Organizations: The government has recommended people stay home from work if they’re not feeling well, and the contractor you hire should be abiding by these recommendations as well.
- Social Distancing: The goverment recommends keeping a minimum distance of six feet between yourself and another person when out in public or while working on the job. And for roofing repairs or replacements, nearly all the work is done outside of your home, so you don’t have to worry about running into a crew member while work is being completed. If interior access is needed to inspect the attic ventilation or the roof deck, you can draw up guidelines with your roofing contractor to avoid the roofers coming into contact with household members.
- Digital transactions: Paying for your roofing contractor’s services using digital transactions and receipts minimizes person-to-person contact during estimates, roofing work, and other inspections.
7 Steps to Hire a Roofing Contractor Without Meeting In-Person
The entire process of hiring a roofing contractor, getting an estimate for a roof repair or replacement and even picking out roofing shingles can all be done online and over the telephone. Here’s how you can find, hire, and work with a roofing contractor remotely:
- Research roofing contractors online. Search their Google listings, Facebook page for customer reviews
- Contact a roofing contractor online via phone, email, chat, or text to schedule a virtual appointment.
- During your appointment, ask questions about products, estimates, costs, and the process. You can always ask for additional info via email, text, phone, or video chat sessions.
- To provide an estimate, a roofer needs to know the area of your roof. Roofing contractors can use satellite images to take your roof measurements so there is no need for anyone to come out to your home.
- If necessary, you can provide your roofing contractor with photos or videos of roof damage or areas that need repair via email, chat, or text. Please only take pictures or videos from a safe place. For the safety of the homeowner, a direct roof inspection is never recommended.
- When the contractor has everything they need to provide an estimate, they can email or text it to you to review from the comfort of your own home.
- Finally, all paperwork, project scheduling, and payment can be completed easily and securely through electronic means.
How to Pick Roofing Shingles Online
When it comes time to select new shingles for your roof, you can do so from the comfort of your home with the help of a phone or computer
On the Owens Corning Roofing website, for example, you can easily:
- Research various roofing products, such as architectural shingles and synthetic underlayment and accessories
- Browse different shingle styles and colors
- Discover different inspirational photos